Experience Macedonia: Enjoy Europe as it used to be
Experience Macedonia is a unique cultural adventure developed by Patrice Koerper a former Peace Corps Volunteer, who lived in Macedonia for three years from 2006 to 2009, and has returned every year for at least 6 weeks. You will Experience Macedonia from an informed insider’s perspective, up-close and personal. Your journey will be interesting, educational, exciting, and surprisingly inexpensive. The pace will be slow and easy, but will cover an interesting array of sights and sounds, and memorable moments.
10-14 Day Stay Highlights
(Need a party of at least 4 travelers to arrange trip.)
- Meet and mingle with Macedonians daily. Enjoy historic tours with Macedonian guides. Step off the well-worn European tourist path.
- Enjoy Bitola’s historic market, churches, and coffee or wine on the famous pedestrian avenue the Shirok Sokak. Dine where the locals do, enjoy music, educational events, museums, and even a European makeover and/or massage, if you like.
- Relive ancient history at Heraclea Lyncestis, a settlement originally built by Filip II, father of Alexander the Great within walking distance of Bitola’s city park.
- Visit and stay in a rural village, where the lives of the people are slow and easy, the food is fresh and homemade, and history is interlaced with the daily life of villagers.
- Journey to Ohrid, Macedonia’s must see vacation spot to visit Tzar Samuils Fortress, St. Clement’s monastery “St. Pantheleimon”, the oldest Slavic monument of culture; St. Jovan Kanoe, one of the most photographed churches in Macedonia with original frescoes intact; and shop and dine in this ancient city on Lake Orhid.
- Travel along Lake Ohrid and the surrounding mountains to St. Naum a 1,000 year old Eastern Orthodox Monastery, spend a night in Elshani, a mountain village on the way. Depending on our schedule and pace, there may be time for coffee in Albania, just across the border.
- Based on individual and group interests, we will also visit University classrooms, businesses, musical events, lectures, artists, crafts people, mountain and hiking areas, and more. (Nominal fees may be involved.) Special photographic tours can also be arranged for a fee.
Breakfast is generally included European-style with your lodgings; many times we will be together, other times you may choose to be on your own for breakfast to enjoy the local bakeries and shops. Dinners and suppers, excluding two during your 14 day stay, are included in the above pricing. We will generally follow the traditional Macedonian way of dining, enjoying our largest meal family style between 2:30 – 5 p.m. with a light supper later in the evening. Also Macedonian style, one traditional alcoholic drink, rakija and one house wine, is included per dinner and supper.
The food is amazing; everything is fresh and delicious. Most selections are made from scratch. Small sweet shops and bakeries are everywhere and very inexpensive.
Participants must be able to carry and handle their luggage; climb at least a few flights of stairs and walk on uneven surfaces up to one mile over the course a day.
For more information, contact Patrice Koerper at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 813-719-0769
If flying in to and out of Skopje, Macedonia, and staying for 14 days, we may be able arrange a two-night stay in Macedonia’s large and evolving capital where we will visit ancient monuments; Turkish markets; sip coffee or wine along the River Vardar; and dine at traditional Macedonia restaurants.
(Two night/2.5 day stay is an additional cost of $300 per person includes: travel, lodging, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners.)
If flying in to and out of Thessaloniki, Greece, the second largest city in Greece, a day visit to Edessa and walking tours of Thessaloniki, Greece during your overnight stay can be arranged. (Two night stay an additional cost of $350 per person includes: travel, lodging, 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners.)
Longer stays may allow for other customized side trips, each at a TBD additional cost.
See you in Macedonia!